Accessibility – making our website easier to use
We want our website to be accessible to as many users as possible. So we’ve taken steps to conform to best practice principles and to remove any accessibility barriers – so people can find and use the information they need, and engage with us as easily as possible.
Our approach to web accessibility
We believe our website must be accessible to provide equal access to everyone.
In creating this website and writing our online content, we’ve followed .
In line with these guidelines, we aspire to meet the following standards for our web content.
- All our content must conform at least with Level A of the guidelines.
- All our content should conform with Level AA of guidelines. We plan to achieve this for all content on our website by the end of 2018.
- All interactive or transaction elements of our site (such as forms), must conform to Level AAA of the guidelines. We aim to achieve this by the end of 2018.
How we make our website accessible
- heading tags to convey page structure. H1 tags are used for main titles, H2 tags for subtitles etc
- strong contrast colours to aid on-screen reading. No information on the site is solely dependent on colour to be intelligible
- readability software to check reading scores of our content. As a regulator, our information can be complex, but we aim to write for a maximum reading age of 16 across the site. And we aim for a lower reading age for many pages, such as those aimed at non-medical audiences
- meaningful alternative text (known as alt text) with all images on our website. Where a user can’t see the image, they will still be able to read the alt text
- templates to control the layout and presentation of all our webpages.
also checked this site for us. We’ve responded to their feedback and made their suggested updates.
Get our information in other ways
You can ask us for information on our website in other formats. For example, in Braille, easy read, in another language or as an audio file.
Email [email protected] with any specific requirements. We’ll contact you to discuss them in more detail.