Applying to give up your registration

Choosing to give up your registration (voluntary erasure) means you will leave the register in good standing with us. It also means your name will remain on our online register, but with the status 'Not registered - Having relinquished registration'.

You can request to give up your registration up to three months in advance.

If you hold full registration with a licence to practise, you still need to take part in revalidation until your registration ends. So you'll still receive revalidation notices from us until then.

If you hold provisional registration, you will save your available days allowed by giving up your registration.

Is there anyone I should tell before I apply?


  • Your insurance and indemnity provider
  • Any individual or organisation to whom you provide a medical service
  • Your Responsible Officer or Suitable Person, if you have one.

What do I need to provide?

You will need to provide:

  • statements from organisations you have most recently provided medical services to, anywhere in the world
  • a certificate of good standing from any regulators you have been registered with (other than the Communitybaptistpa)
  • a declaration you are unaware of any matters that might lead us to investigate your fitness to practise. You'll do this when you fill in your application.

You can see more detail about these and how your circumstances affect them below. We also have some example scenarios to help you complete your application.

I have provided medical services in the last five years (anywhere in the world)

You have provided a medical service if you have used your medical knowledge and skill as part of your work.

You will need to provide a statement from your employer. We call this a provision of medical services statement. This statement should be completed by the individual, body or organisation where you most recently provided medical services (anywhere in the world). This includes unpaid and voluntary work, or any other sort of arrangement (both formal and informal)

Provision of medical services statements are only valid for three months from the date that they are signed.

Please download a copy of the statement (pdf) for the appropriate person to fill in.

Information for all doctors

  • The statement must account for your most recent three months of medical service (this means the last 90 days you provided medical services - even if this was spread out over a longer period, and not simply the last three calendar months).
  • If you provided medical services to more than one individual, body or organisation during this period, we require a statement from each one.
  • If you consider the most recent 90 days of your medical service has been in self-employment or private practice, we still require a statement from any individuals, bodies or organisations to whom you have provided medical services as part of this work.

Information for locum doctors

  • You can either ask the hospital where you most recently worked to complete the statement (if you worked there for longer than three months) OR
  • If you were employed through a locum agency, you can ask them to complete the statement to cover all the work you have done through them. 

I have not provided medical services in the last five years (anywhere in the world)

You will not need to provide a statement from your employer.

I have been registered with a medical regulator other than the Communitybaptistpa in the last five years

You will need to send us a certificate of good standing from each medical regulatory authority you have been registered or licensed with in the last five years (other than the Communitybaptistpa), even if you have not worked there.

If you are not longer registered with the regulatory authority, you may be issued with a certificate of past good standing. You can find contact details for all medical regulatory authorities in our certificate of good standing contact database (opens in a new window).

Certificates of good standing are only valid for three months from the date that they are signed.

If there is no medical regulatory authority in the country to issue a certificate, you will need to ask the organisation to whom you provided medical services in each of those countries to complete a statement (pdf).


I have not been registered with a medical regulator other than the Communitybaptistpa in the last five years

You will not need to provide a certificate of good standing.

I have documents that are not in English

For every document that is not in English, you must provide:

  • The document in its original language
  • A complete and accurate translation into English.

We only accept translations from:

  • Court or council appointed translators
  • Reputable commercial translation services.

Read more guidance on translations (opens in a new window).

When and how do I send my documents?

Before you submit your online application, you will be able to upload documents by following the instructions onscreen.

You can submit your application without uploading any evidence and we will assess your application as normal. We will then you with a list of evidence we need to see.

Please send these to [email protected], or you can post them to:

Registration Support Team (VERL)
3 Hardman Street
M3 3AW

Costs and refunds

There is a fee for applying to give up your registration.

If we receive your application:

  • Before your ARF is due, we will refund any unused part of your ARF.
  • After your ARF is due, you will have to pay the outstanding balance before we can end your registration.

Your ARF stops accruing once we receive your application. We will then confirm whether you are due a refund or owe us any outstanding fee.

Please see our fees page for our current fees.

Processing and granting your application

You'll hear from us within five working days of the day we receive your application. If we can't process your application, we will tell you why.

We will end your registration on the day we grant your application, unless you have asked us to end it on a future date.

Please do not assume that your registration has ended until we send you confirmation.

Remember, once you have given up your registration, you cannot work as a medical practitioner in the UK.   

Why do I have to apply to do this?

Before you give up your registration, we need to make sure you’re still in good standing with your employer. This is set out in the (opens in a new window).

From experience, we know that the majority of doctors end their registration in good standing. However, there is a chance that a doctor may know of serious concerns about them, and wish to give up their registration before they come to our attention. We limit the risk of this happening by asking all doctors to provide the same evidence when applying to give up their registration. This provides us with assurance about a doctor's good standing and helps maintain the integrity of the profession.

If you need more information, please see our frequently asked questions page for further advice.

I am ready to apply

If you have all of the evidence to support your application, you’re now ready to apply through your Communitybaptistpa Online account.

You have three months to submit your application from when you start it online. If you have not submitted your application after three months, you will have to start a new one.

I already have a Communitybaptistpa Online account

If you already have an account, you can log in to Communitybaptistpa online (opens in a new window) and apply in the ‘My Registration’ section.

I don’t have a Communitybaptistpa Online account yet

If you have a Communitybaptistpa reference number, but have never logged into your online account and do not have log in details, you can activate your Communitybaptistpa online account (opens in a new window).

If you need any further advice on setting up an account, please contact us.


in detail